Thursday, October 23, 2014

Homemade Tomato Sauce

I've never made my own tomato sauce.  I usually buy the organic sauce in the jar from the grocery store to cut back on the time it would take to complete a recipe with homemade sauce.  Although I do buy the sauce in the jar, I haven't found one that I really love.

I decided last night I would try to make my own sauce and it was surprisingly easy.  Hope you enjoy!

Homemade Tomato Sauce

Ingredients


1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 Tbsp garlic, minced
8 medium Roma tomatoes, quartered
1 cup vegetable broth
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat.  Add garlic and onions, sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.  Add seasonings, cooking an additional minute to incorporate flavors.  Add quartered tomatoes and vegetable broth.  Simmer,  covered on low heat for an hour.  Remove sauce from heat and allow to cool.  Place sauce in blender and blend until it has reached desired consistency.  Use immediately or store up to 5 days in the refrigerator in a glass jar.  Delicious as a pasta sauce or pizza sauce!



No comments:

Post a Comment